I am not a Linux guy. I know enough to make my way around the ESX service console but that’s about it. A Linux guy would not have spent hours figuring out the issue I had recently!
Anyway I have been setting up a little SRM lab and I wanted to configure a couple of Netapp ONTAP simulators for the storage replication component. The simulator needs to be run on a Linux host machine. I managed to get my host VMs running with Ubuntu 9.1. You can find the installation steps here if you are interested.
I attempted to mount the ONTAP simulator ISO to run the install but for some reason even though Linux was telling me it was mounted I could not get access to it. I mounted another ISO to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong and it seemed to work fine.
So I mounted the ONTAP simulator ISO on a windows VM and I could access the files. I decided to copy the files to a share and access the installation files over the network.
After copying the install files over the network to the Linux VM I ran the installation which failed. I kept getting a “Cannot find an installed simulator nor an install package” error. I spent hours trying to figure out what the hell was wrong.
After digging through the setup.sh file I noticed that it looks for sim.tgz as the installation package. The file was in the directory and I could manually un-tar it so the file wasn’t corrupt. Then it finally dawned on me! The files I copied across from the windows server where all in CAPITAL LETTERS. I changed every files name to lower case and it worked!
I know Linux is case sensitive but I assumed setup would just run without adjusting anything. I think at some point during the coping of the files to windows then to linux all the file names where changed to capital letters.